Information for our english speaking guests
A city with history
It was meant to be a Versailles of the north, which Duke Friedrich had built in the mid-18th century. It is not Versailles but still amazingly beautiful.
In the centre, there is a baroque castle, a magnificent city church, venerable cascades, a park which constantly beckons, water courses which gently plash, rest and relaxation for the soul.
And the city looms right next to the splendor of the Baroque period. Planned baroque symmetry, familiar brick houses, allies broadly lined with lime trees. Strolling along the castle street is an architectural experience. Following the extensive renovation in 1991, it is an impressive story of success.
A city with presence
Ludwigslust is a modern and lovely small city which has maintained the charm of previous years.
Ludwigslust is characterized by it’s central location in Mecklenburg. Today, the city is a road traffic and rail road hub. Numerous mid-sized mechanical engineering, mechanical and electrical engineering, food and craftsman and commercial companies have made their headquarters here.
Ludwigslust offers its residents the many benefits of a mid-sized town, a high quality of life in a small city atmosphere, individual residential development outdoors, a good infrastructure and a diverse cultural offering.
Ludwigslust is also a charming host. It has something to offer both its residents and guests: sophisticated gastronomy, art and culture, well-developed bicycle and hiking paths and, most of all, fresh air and fabulous tranquillity to simply let the spirit run free, far from everyday stress.
A city with personality
Residents: 12.500 residents
Location: Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, 35 km south of Schwerin, known as the pearl of the „Grey Region
Sister cities: Ahrensburg in Schleswig/Holstein, Kamskoye Ustye in Tatarstan (Russia), Muscatine, Iowa (USA)
From here into the world and then back again. No problem. The city’s good transport connections make it possible. The A24 and A 14 highways can be reached easily and quickly. The ICE brings train travellers to Hamburg in 40 minutes and to Berlin in 60 minutes.
Living and working in Ludwigslust
So many good reasons to choose Ludwigslust as the focal point of life
Low rental prices for apartments
Inexpensive building land for residential building
Living with greenery and yet right in the middle of the city
Age-appropriate living in the city centre
Children most welcome
Safe full-day child care
Five communal day care centres for children
An Evangelical kindergarden, a Montessori kindergarten, two day care centres which are privately maintained
support under social aspects
Learning for life
Three primary schools, one secondary school with a regular school section, one Catholic church school
One Gymnasium, one professional school with an focus on economics
Two special schools
District music school and district adult education centre
International schools and private music schools in the close surrounding area
Stift Bethlehem Hospital as the teaching hospital of the University of Rostock
Living pleasantly and working successfully
- Ludwigslust – Member of the Hamburg metropolitan region
- Companies in the food industry, the construction and construction material industry, electrical and machine industry, mechanical and system engineering shape the location.
- Well-known top-quality sausage and meat products
- Germany’s largest sea buckhorn plantation
- Many established authorities and service companies, small and mid-sized commercial companies and the Stift Bethlehem Hospital are reliable employers.
- Ludwigslust provides 6,000 with regular jobs
Attractive for industry, trade and commerce
- The settlement of new companies in the open areas in the commercial area and in the “Stüdekoppel” - industrial area are quickly and non-bureaucratically.
- Remaining areas in six almost completely managed commercial areas can be brokered.
- Sale prices for commercial land from EUR 7.50/m²
- Ludwigslust is a service centre and the central purchasing location for a largescale surrounding area.
Attractive for shopping
Right in the centre of the city there are numerous owner-operated stores with a broad range of offers.
A larger shopping centre directly in the city centre
Several chain store owners from discounters and retail store owners
Excellent medical care
- Stift Bethlehem Evangelical Hospital with specialised departments and social services
- Numerous general and specialist physician practices, pharmacies
Authorities close to the people
- City administration, district administration, District court
- Field office of the Hagenow tax office
- Insurance companies and pension insurance companies
- Agency of Labour
- District craftsmanship
- Economic Promotion Association
- Customs office
Culture all year round
Ludwigslust considers itself to be completely in the tradition of the Mecklenburg court orchestra music scene and maintains its cultural heritage. 1767 Ludwigslust became the centre of an advanced church music. Today, Ludwigslust can justifiably be called a bastion of classical music.
- Open-air concerts with stars of the international music scene
- top-class concerts at the castle, castle park and city church
- Ludwigslust classics as part of the M-V festival
- Annual summer highlight: "Small festival in the Big Park" with a unique programme of comedy, acrobatics, music and dance and always ends with spectacular fireworks above the castle park.
- Baroque festival, Lime tree festival, Art and cultur-night …
Leisure time – pleasure time
- Cutting-edge technology in a historical environment: The latest films in the oldest cinema of Mecklenburg
- Actively sporty: Sports halls, sporting squares, speedway stadium, shooting range, fitness studios, skating and leisure facility, football area and play areas in the residential areas
- City hall as an event and conference centre
- Art and cultural association, choirs, music ensembles
- An active life in associations - approximately 70 associations are all active in all areas
- Multi-generational house of Zebef e.V.: Attractive possibilities for the old and young, making leisure time a rich experience and planning it together.
- Well-developed wheel and riding path network around the city
- Good conditions for fans of water sports in the near-by Grabow Waldbad, Neustadt Lake, at the water ski facility in Zachun, on Schwerin Lake or on the Müritz-Elde waterway.
- The Baltic Sea is no more than an hour away
Many ways lead to Ludwigslust…
How to get here
International airport Hamburg: www.hamburg-airport.de
Supraregional Airport Rostock-Laage www.rostock-airport.de
Nearest ports: Overseas port of Wismar – distance apx. 70 km
Fast ICE-Connections to Berlin (1 hr.), Hamburg (40 min), Dresden, Prague
Regional connections to Lübeck, Magdeburg, Rostock, Schwerin and Wismar
Motorways A 24. A 241, A 14
Distance to motorway approach: only 2 km
Connection to Hamburg (110 km), Berlin (200 km) and Schwerin (35 km)
Main Roads B 5, B 106, B 191 - All roads cross in Ludwigslust. Therefore, the town is easily accessible from all directions.